In today’s generation, one of the greatest challenges faced by parents is a distraction in children. Distracted children cannot use their mental ability to focus on a concept. To understand what brings distraction in children we need to look at the root cause of the problem.
For children of today’s age have abundant choices when it comes to resources. For instance, when they watch videos on youtube, many similar videos pop-up in the recommended column, and they get distracted to explore the new ones without completing the earlier one. Lakshya, one of the top schools in Kakinada explains the ways to help children stay focused.
Tips to manage distraction in children
Distractions come into play when a more appealing option comes their way. This kind of distraction in kids may lead to disruptions in academic performance or personal life. Here are some tips for parents to help their children improve their focus and comprehension.
Here are key benefits for students who participate in extracurricular activities.
- Allow your child to focus on one task at a time. The best way to do this is by maintaining and practicing a schedule. For example, assign a particular time for studies and other activities, and reinforce this schedule.
- Assign tasks to the child in sequential order. This will help the child to think in an organized way and draw a mental map of tasks to accomplish and not deviate from the assigned tasks.
- Keep gadgets, tablets, and computers away from children. Allow them to play with regular toys, activities that improve their attention and concentration.
- Allow your child to take breaks in between assignments so that the tasks appear less daunting and overwhelming.
- When children are given a task that is manageable, they will be less likely to become distracted. Therefore, divide big assignments into small, each one with a clear goal.
- Reward your child when he/she successfully completed a task. The reward need not be tangible, it can be a kind of warm hug, appreciation, extra playtime, screen time, and so on.
- Use a variety of strategies and teaching techniques to accommodate the multitude of learning styles so that children have the opportunity to focus more.
- Keep the reading hours short or vary the pacing from one concept to the next.
- Make sure you have a calm and peaceful environment for your children to complete their homework and help them stay focused.
Other tips to overcome focus issues in children include:
- Sit with your children and make sure they understand what is required to finish assigned assignments.
- Encourage your child to eat foods rich in protein such as almonds, eggs, and lean meat which have the ability to increase concentration levels.
- Prepare your children for the next task by telling them what they have to do next once they completed the assigned task.
- Most children are able to concentrate best after a good sleep. So, encourage them to have at least twenty minutes of sleep after completing assigned tasks to reduce distraction and increase concentration
- Train kids with some relaxation techniques such as deep breathing with positive visual imagery that helps their brain to concentrate more.
It is also important for parents to find out if the child has a deep-rooted problem that is amounting to distraction and inability to concentrate. This is because there are many learning disabilities like dyslexia that trigger a lack of attention but, parents fail to detect the main reason and keep working on improving their kid’s attention.
We at Lakshya, the best school in Kakinada suggest using the tips mentioned above can reduce the scope of distraction in your children.